Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Day in the Life // If I was a SAHM

First and foremost, I'm still currently on maternity leave (working remotely here and there), but Im pretty sure my days would look the same if I was a SAHM (stay at home mom). Of course every woman debates about returning to work once having a baby. Come on trusting a stranger with your three month old?! Not easy. As of today I'm set to return to work in May, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer to stay home with Emerson. Any one know of a great job I can work at home with baby?!

This is a real day in the life of me and Miss Emerson

4:30 a.m.
It's Tuesday morning my alarm goes off, but I've already been up for ten minutes because Emerson is stirring. I've been debating about pumping or waking baby to feed. She decided for me (she slept for seven hours!). Nick changes her then she nurses. This morning she only nurses for 15 minutes before going back to bed. Luckily I switched half way so I'm not worried about pumping.

4:50 a.m.
Once I know the girl is fast asleep I start getting ready for the GYM.

5-5:15 a.m.
Say goodbye to the hubby and grab a banana, hard boiled egg or bar (Kind Bar or Lara Bar) and head to the gym.

5:15 - 6 a.m.
Workout - Set up spin bike, walk/run for 20 minute then circuit with weights and abs.

6 a.m.
45/50 minute spin class. Yup thats right I'm at the gym for almost 2 hours.

7-8 a.m.
I'm home. Hubby leaves for work. Baby is still sawing logs. I make a quick breakfast. This morning it  just happen to be steel cut oats with almond milk, walnuts, honey or agave nectar and fresh fruit. (Tip: I make a big batch of steel cut oats on Sunday for the week. My hubby enjoys this for breakfast too.)

While I enjoy breakfast peacefully I check and response to emails and catch up on blogs and the daily news.

If I have time I start on some house chores (i.e. make the bed*, unload and load the dishwasher, feed the dog, etc.).

*I make the bed everyday. There's just something about a made bed. Even if it doesn't happen until noon.

8 a.m.
If the baby girl isn't already up for the day I wake her up. This is probably one of the best parts of the day. Girlfriend makes some of the best faces. I change her then nurse.

9 a.m.
By this time we're taking a mid-morning nap. Mama is tired from working out and baby just likes to snuggle and sleep.

Some days we go to mommy and me boot camp.

10 a.m.
Mid-morning snack -- Green smoothie. Every day is a little different. I make two servings so the hubby can have a smoothie with his lunch.

Shower! Emerson usually chills in her bouncer in the bathroom. Sometimes she even takes a cat nap.

11/11:30 a.m. 
Nurse. Diaper change.

12/12:30 p.m.
Lunch. Hubby joins us :). Today's Lunch was a quinoa bowl with chicken and veggies. Quinoa is apart of my weekly meal prep.

After lunch and a few snuggles with her dad I try and put girlfriend down for a nap. She's not having it. So I throw on a movie, grab my laptop and snuggle with her on the couch. She passes out in no time.

Other days look like this:

If she'll let me put her down I continue with house chores (i.e. vacuum, laundry, pick up house, dust, etc.).

If she wants to be held I'll start doing squats, lunges or step ups (using my coffee table)

2 p.m.
Wake the little girl from her nap (if she's still asleep). Change and tummy time. Then we nurse again! Milk Maid open for business.

2:30- 4 p.m.
Mid-afternoon snack: Sliced Apple with nut butter (i.e. peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.). If I'm feeling crazy I'll top it with some chocolate chips. Yesterday it was snowing, but typically we get out of the house! This varies from day to day as well. What do we do? Walk the dog for at least an hour, run errands, etc. Since the weather was nasty yesterday we went shopping at TJMaxx. We picked up some new workout gear for mom.

4 p.m.
Cat nap for the baby girl, tummy time, check emails, write blog post, work, dinner prep.

5 p.m.
Change and nurse. (I do change her throughout the day, but I always change her right before or after nursing)

5:30 p.m.
Start to make dinner. Hubby comes home from work and plays with girlfriend and/or throws the ball for Roxy girl.

6/6:15 p.m.
Dinner + kitchen clean up. Last night was taco salad using shredded chicken from Del Real.

7 p.m.
Nurse and Change

7:30 p.m.
Night time ritual. Bath (every other night) and snuggles/play. Now that she's more aware we've started to read to her.

8:30/9 p.m.
Last feeding for the night.

9:30 p.m.
In bed and lights out.

What's the takeaway? Being a SAHM is a full time job and your baby is the boss! Could you handle that?

Psst: A winner was picked for the Lulujo Giveaway. Did you win?


  1. wow, what a day! I can't imagine being that organized and productive....good for you lady!!! xoxo

    1. Haha. I guess that's just my type A personality coming out even after baby. It took about a month to get into the groove of things.

  2. im super impressed with your gym schedule! im hoping once im cleared to workout i can get into a good routine again. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    1. Girl it feels so good to break a sweat! Take it easy once you get cleared and you'll want to up your calories so your milk supply doesn't go down :)

  3. I love posts like this! I've been meaning to put one together but haven't yet...but I totally agree, being home with a baby is a full time job!

  4. She is SOOOO cute!

    Dang you are so active. The fact that you're a mom and still get in so many workouts is really inspiring. Go you!